Have you ever left your computer unlocked, or forgot to sign out of a personal archive like email, browser sessions, etc?
Don’t worry, you are not alone, we all have been there at some point. The last thing you want is anyone else going through your personal archive of things, whether it be notes, files or just plain old bookmarks. Sometimes this could happen by accident, like a co-worker trying to fix your computer and ends up in your personal bookmark collection. Well, no more.
We have introduced Pin protected boards in Clipd.io so you could block access to certain boards you don’t want others accidentally stumbling upon. Since Clipd stays logged in unless you explicitly log out, this ensures a certain level of security/privacy.
Great, how do I use it?
Before you could pin protect a board, you need to set up a pin first. Here’s how to set up a pin in Clipd.io:
- Navigate to the Settings menu
- Click/Tap on the “SET PIN” button under the board’s submenu
- If this is the first time you are setting up a pin, you will have to enter the new pin using the number pad (use your mouse or touchscreen, the keyboard doesn’t work here by design).
- Pin code has to be between 4 to 6 digits long. It’s best to use a pin only you would know, avoid using common combinations like your birth year, etc
- At this stage there is no automatic recovery for the pin, meaning if you forget your pin, you will have to email us to reset it. Best to write it down somewhere safe and private.
- Once you are happy with the pin code, press OK to save it.
Great, now you have set up a pin, but that doesn’t mean your boards are protected. You will have to explicitly tell Clipd which boards to secure. Here’s how to do just that:
- Open the Board you wish to secure
- Open the board context menu, and select “Edit Board“
- Select the PIN tab, and enable “Pin Protect“
- Click “Save” to save your changes (this is important, otherwise your changes will not be saved.
Now your board is protected and will require a pin before anyone can open it.
How do I access my pin protected boards?
Your pin protected boards show up in Clipd just like any other board with the exception that they now have a “Lock” icon next to them, and require a pin to enter.
Once you click on a pin protected board, you will be asked to verify your pin, once the successful pin has been entered all locks get unlocked for 15 minutes, after which they get automatically locked and require a pin again.
Any bookmarks from pin protected boards do not show up in search results!